Ayurvedic De- Tox/Basti TherapyBasti (Enema) is considered as the mother of all Ayurveda therapies (Panchakarma) since it cleanses the accumulated toxins from all the 3 doshas, Vata, Pitta and Kapha, through the colon. Ayurvedic basti involves the introduction into the rectum of herbal concoctions of herbal oil and certain herbal preparations are given as enema to clean the colon and increase the muscle tone. This procedure is usually applied based on the medical condition of a person. Basti is the most effective therapy of Vata disorders. Basti is also highly beneficial as a rejuvenating therapy.
Ayurvedic Basti Therapy is helpful for:Ayurvedic Basti restores the balance of the doshas or the body types. The Vata body type, in particular, can get the maximum benefit of Basti Ayurvedic therapies. Some of the advantages of Basti include:
- It increases weight in emaciated people by providing high nutrition and rejuvenation.
- It is also beneficial in weight loss programmes as some Basti therapies reduce weight in the obese.
- It improves backache, sciatica and other pains in the joints, knee pin, and many other Vata disorders such as arthritis, rheumatism, Cervical Spondylosis, gout, muscle spasms, paraplegia and headaches may also be helpful with Basti.
- It prevents aging and brings back lustre, strength, and longevity.
- It provides relief from constipation, Colitis, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Digestive disorders, Piles, distension, chronic fever, cold, kidney stones.
- Basti is very helpful in preventing heart pain, backache, sciatica and other pains in the joints.
It is also effective for most of the digestive disorders like dry colon, dry rectum condition and the tendency towards constipation resulting from such conditions. It relieves constipation, distension, chronic fever, cold, kidney stones and heart pain.
Types of Basti
- Anuvasana (oil enema): Anuvasana is used in pure Vata disorders and when a person is having excess hunger or dryness related to Vata imbalances.
- Niruha – Asthapana (decoction enema) is used, among other conditions, for evacuation of Vata, nervous diseases, gastro-intestinal Vata conditions, gout, certain fever conditions, unconsciousness, certain urinary conditions, appetite, pain, hyperacidity and heart diseases.
- UttaraBasti (through the urethra with men or vagina with women) is used for selected semen and ovulation disorders and for some problems involving painful urination or bladder infections. This is not to be used for someone with diabetes.
- MatraBasti (daily oil enema) is used by someone emaciated by overwork or too much exercise, too much heavy lifting, walking too long of a distance, too much sexual activity or someone with chronic Vata disorders. It does not need to be accompanied by any strict dietary restriction or daily routine and can be administered, in the appropriate cases, in all seasons. It gives strength, promotes weight and helps elimination of waste products.
- Karma Basti (schedule of 30 bastis),
- Kala Basti (schedule of 15 bastis; 10 oil + 5 decoction).
- Yoga Basti (schedule of 8 bastis; 5 oil + 3 decoctions).
Bruhana Basti (nutritional enema) is used for providing deep nutrition in select conditions. Traditionally, highly nutritive substances have been used, such as warm milk, and herbs like shatavari.
General Contra-Indications for Basti (includes but is not limited to the following):Enema therapy should not be used if the patient is suffering from diarrhoea, bleeding of the rectum, chronic indigestion, breathlessness, diabetes, fever, emaciation, severe anaemia, pulmonary tuberculosis, old age or for children below the age of seven years.
For Oil Enemas: diabetes, obesity, indigestion, unconsciousness, tuberculosis and cough.
For Nutritional Enemas: obesity, lymphatic obstruction, and ascites.
Proper administration of Basti karma is very essential for having maximum benefits.
How will I know which is best for me?
Once you decide to have a colon cleansing therapy, you can book in a free consultation with our Ayurvedic Practitioner, who will guide you through the details of the therapy that best suited for you.